For my recipe blog go to:

Thursday, August 18, 2011

"The big hard decision" (or, "My kid is really going to need therapy someday!")

Ok, let's face it, every parent has NO clue what they are really doing as a parent. It's a shot in the dark when it comes down to it. (And we will never admit this to our kids, right?) We face decisions every day about things that we never encountered when we were kids, that our parents never had to face because there weren't things like internet and cell phones and violent video games. (Asteroids was pretty edgy, I admit, but nothing compared to what is available now!)

I am finding myself constantly scratching my head at some of the choices I have to make as a parent. However, I think I'm doing pretty well, overall. My hubby and I discuss things together and usually agree. My son is reasonably accepting of our decisions with the average amount of "why mom" and "but, but...".  And in the end he is really good at complying and moving on. (When I put my foot down about NOT playing Halo under any circumstances whatsoever, he didn't even argue. In fact, he told his friend he didn't think he should play it and to stop bugging him to play it. Pretty impressive if you ask me!)

So, the decision to remove my son from public school and into a private one was pretty difficult, and came with a lot of doubts, fears, uncertainty, and apprehensions. (And many more accompanying words I can't think of right now.)  But, the decision has been made and he will be attending a private school this fall.

Overall I think this is going to be a very good move. Parts of me are nervous for change, though. There is no playground or recess. The school day is only 4 hours long. I will now be driving him to and picking him up from school every single day. (Yes I got lazy being able to watch him from our door to the school every day in the comfort of my own home.) I have to fix lunch for him every day now. (Which I loath and despise having to make lunch every day, but will get over eventually after I feel enough guilt for feeding him microwave burritos for the 15th time.) Extra activities like gym and music will have to be done outside of school. (But we've got it covered- piano lessons and swim team.)

So, why am I nervous? Because it's change. It's something neither my  husband or I have ever done. It's different. But sometimes different can be good, right? My son seems to be fine with it, so we should be too. I just hope I'm not setting him up for years of therapy in the future, you know? ("My parents ripped me from the only school I ever knew and sent me to...  oh.... I just can't say it..... p-p-p-private sssssschoool!!!!") 

So, two more weeks of summer at our house and then.... back to school! I feel like I'm going back to school too. Maybe I should go buy myself some new clothes to celebrate! Sounds like a good plan to me!

1 comments:

Lauren said...

It sounds to me like you will be saving him from years of therapy. I think that calls for at least one new outfit!