For my recipe blog go to:

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Napoleon "Nappy" Fritz Taylor

Napoleon "Nappy" Fritz Taylor March 4, 2000 - April 21, 2012 Nappy came as a surprise for my birthday 12 years ago. He was a tiny white puffball, and I adored him. He has always been my little friend- always by my side. He would always greet me at the door wagging his little white tail whenever I come home, no matter how long I've been gone. He used to snuggle up to my legs when I watched television, or rested his head right on the laptop keyboard when he wanted more attention. He'd even lay on fabric I was cutting out on the floor to let me know I was neglecting him. He howled at music with lots of trumpets and brass, or when I sang a particularly high aria. I think it was because he liked it, but we could never be certain! He absolutely adored M&M's peanuts, and he would stand up on his hind legs and "dance" whenever he wanted anything- especially M&M peanuts! He always barked at the UPS truck passing by, and absolutely could not contain himself when the mailman came by. The neighbor's cat also drove him batty. He would just dream of getting free and getting a shot at that cat- until one day when he actually was able to get the door opened. He went tearing after that cat, and then the cat turned around to face him. I think there were actual skid marks on the sidewalk where his feet screeched to a halt when he realized that cat might come at him! It was the funniest thing I've ever seen! He loved to sit and watch out the window all day long. I always knew when someone was coming because he'd let me know before the doorbell rang. I'll probably miss a lot more visitors now that I might not know they are here! About a year and a half ago he started to be in pain. He had arthritis and it was slowing him down. WE got him on medication and he was back to his old self again. But over this last winter he began to slow down. He couldn't jump up on the bed anymore. He had to take several tries to even get up on the couch. (It was pretty funny to watch!) About 3 weeks ago he woke up shaking. HE was clearly in pain, and just went downhill from there. He just lay around all day and looked depressed. Pain pills weren't helping him anymore. Then a few days ago his back legs started to give out, and it only got worse. 2 days ago I took him out for a little walk. It took us 45 minutes to get around one block. I think he knew it was his last walk, and he did not want to come back in the house although he was clearly in pain, and exhausted. I let him walk as far as his little legs would go. Last night was his worst night. He couldn't sleep. He couldn't lay down- it hurt too much. He just sat and panted, and nudged his little nose into my hand everytime I fell asleep on the floor in his room, or stopped petting him. Finally, after a large dose of pain medication, he was able to relax and sleep. Then, today, we loaded him up in the car and took a beautiful drive to Logan where the vet put him to sleep. I held his little head close to mine and whispered to him as the drugs went through his little body. He suddenly became very calm and peaceful. IT was so fast. It was over. I don't know what I will do now without my little Nappy. I hope he knows how much he was adored. I sure will miss him. Thank you for sharing your wet kisses, Nappy. I love you.


Christian said...

I'm so sorry Erin-I can't believe how hard that would have been today. There are many tears and prayers for all of you out here in Texas tonight.

-Christian, Jan, & Mads

elliespen said...

Oh, Erin. I'm so sorry. Sending love and prayers your way.

The Parkin Family said...

My little Maltese, Maggie, choked on an apple and died right in front of me 4 years ago. I still have a hard time with it. It is like losing a member of the family. My deepest sympathies go to you and your family.