For my recipe blog go to:

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Embrace the chocolate...

I've come to accept some things about myself that I cannot change. Ok, well...I'm trying to accept these things.It doesn't come easy for a stubborn girl like me. Things such as- The size of my house, the fact that we are not moving any time soon, my thinning hair, we only have one child, I'll never be fantastic at housekeeping, I'll never be tall and thin, and I'm closer to 40 than I'd care to admit.

I am also trying to do something about the things that I never thought I could or would change, but I actually CAN do something about with a little (or a LOT) of work and planning. Things like: organize my closets and laundry room, make and STAY on a budget,Stock my food storage, get fit and healthy-ish, make weekly menus and stick to them, have great looking cuticles. (Ok, that last one really should go on the "cannot change" list. It is completely unrealistic for me to expect the impossible.)

So far I am working on the fit and healthy-ish goal. I started this insane workout called, of all things, "Insanity". It is kicking my heiny across the floor and back again, but I feel great after I've done it. (Ok, well, a while after I do it I feel great. Right after I do it I feel like puking my guts out and lying prostrate on the floor until next week.) I'm not going for any particular "size" goal or weight loss goal, except that I fully expect that all this butt busting will at least trim something off. But I do want to be able to hike and ride bikes and enjoy life when I am much older. I want to be that 40 year old woman that people say "No! There's no way you look 40" and they really mean that they think I look younger, not that they're astonished I'm not older. (Although, I have learned that it really matters what kind of bra you buy. Really! The higher the girls are, the younger you look. However, if you're 60 and wearing a push-up... well, that's just sad.)

The biggest problem with getting fit and healthy-ish, is the "ish" part. I do love food, I won't deny it. I absolutely love eating healthy- I love veggies, lean meats, fish... love it all. But I also love chocolate, and cake, and warm chocolate chip cookies on a rainy day. In comes the "ish" part. I just don't know if I can give up the yummy stuff altogether. So, eating smaller portions and fewer "treats" is my goal for now. I did, however, finally resort to putting all the leftover Easter candy in the dark recesses of my pantry today in an effort to stop snarfing all the whipped chocolate eggs in one sitting. Now if I can just make myself forget they are there... hmmm..... how to do that, I'm not sure....

As for organizing and budgeting? Well, I can't expect perfection all at once. And that, my friends, is something I know I cannot change. I can't be perfect. Period. So I will embrace my faults today. With chocolate. Now, where did I put that again...

0 comments: