For my recipe blog go to:

Friday, October 9, 2009

When all else fails, threaten to take away video games...

My son loves to help out in the kitchen. He loves to hover right in front of me between me and the counter- watching intently whatever it is I am making, and trying to grab the measuring cup from me to dump it all in himself. (yes, he is 8... yes, 8 year olds still want to do things themselves!)

This morning I was making crepes- my son requests them at least once a week, if not more. (I only have the patience and time to be the perfect warm-breakfast-making mom 2 days a week- Fridays and Saturdays.) I've finally agreed to do them on Fridays, and no more! He was getting in my way as I was hurriedly trying to whip up the batter, so I gently moved him to the side, getting flour all over his school shirt in the process. I told him to hurry upstairs and change his shirt. He protested- of course!

"Mom... why can't I just wash it off?"

"Because it will make a pasty mess... now go change your shirt."

a few minutes later, he comes down in the same shirt.

"There, how's that?"

"Uh... (turning him around) there is still flour all over, and now there's paste. I told you to change... go do it, please!)

a few more minutes later- crepes are ready, but no kid in sight. He finally comes downstairs again...still in the same shirt!

"There! Better, right?"

"No..... (me beginning to get really angry) There is STILL flour on your shirt, AND lots of paste now... "

I finally threatened to take video games away if he didn't have his shirt changed and back down to eat breakfast in 3 minutes. (I dont' know why I always default to 3 minutes. Maybe my mom did, who knows? But it is always 3 minutes. "go brush your teeth and put your jammies on in the next 3 minutes....")

I'm trying to think at what age they actually start to believe their parents know what they are talking about..... I'm pretty sure it isn't until college.... maybe.

I'm getting a headache just thinking about it.

0 comments: