For my recipe blog go to:

Monday, August 16, 2010

Some much-needed words of wisdom

Yesterday was a really great day in church.

We studied the book of Proverbs in the Old Testament.

Someone asked the question: Who wrote these, and why do we need to really pay attention to them in our day, or do we?

It is not exactly known who wrote them, but I think it is believed that Solomon may have written at least some of them, if not all.

However, as I was reading them, it became clear to me that they are truly wise words of counsel. Words that I think much of today's society has decided to ignore, or decided that they simply don't pertain to us today.

How wrong can we be if we think they do not pertain to us today? No, they do not expound revelation about the last days, but they contain important truths we should live by every day of our lives!

As it says in Proverbs, they are written for us:
"...To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;
To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity;
To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion.
A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:"

I am glad I had that little "wake up" call yesterday. There are so many small things I can be doing daily to be kinder, wiser, more in-tune with the Spirit. I think I need to read Proverbs again!

Read the whole book of Proverbs Here!

1 comments:

Ryan and Shannan Hoffman said...

Love it when that happens! Thank you for sharing this!