For my recipe blog go to:

Monday, March 15, 2010

Dear Congressman who decides if we should keep Daylight Savings or not...

I know you are probably beyond the age of having to deal with grade-school age children. I know you probably never had the responsibility of dealing with them on a daily basis for very long when and if you did have them because your ambitions to be a great politician required that you work long, late hours. Therefore, I feel you may need to be enlightened on a certain subject:

Daylight Savings Creates Demon Children!!!

I know you weren't here last night when my son begged not to have to go to bed at 8:00- his usual bed time- because it still only felt like 7:00, and it was too light outside to be bedtime.
I know you weren't here at 10:00 when he was still awake and crying because he couldn't get to sleep.
I know that while you were quietly enjoying your warm beverage and bagel this morning, my son was sobbing and reenacting the end-of-the-world scene from ______ movie where everyone loses it because we're all gonna die. But let me assure you, it was not pretty.

I am on my "last nerve" here. Why do we have to be put through this, not once, by twice a year? For what purpose? I live in the city- we don't need to stretch the daylight hours. My husband leaves when it's dark and gets home when it's dark no matter what time of year it is. We don't do any farming or animal husbandry! I do laundry and dishes. I can do that no matter how dark or light it is outside, believe me!

So, because you have chosen to vote for this ridiculous, unnecessary, inhumane practice, I am going to have to send you my son to deal with. It takes- at the very least- a good week to get him acclaimated, so be warned. He will get out of bed about 50 times after you put him down for the night. He will need many stories and lots of reassurance and long talks. He will need constant prodding in the morning to get out of bed, eat his breakfast, stop laying on the couch, put his coat on, get off the floor, brush his teeth, don't lay down in the bathroom, stop shuffling his feet, crying won't keep him from having to go to school, no a hurt toe won't let you stay home, no- your tummy ache doesn't mean you have the flu- you can't call me from school, no I didn't wake you up 5 hours earlier than I normally do...

Don't worry, congressman. You will survive, but you may lose some hair this week, and probably the rest will turn white. Your crow's feet will be more apparent and everything will sag much more. You may not have energy to do dishes or laundry...oh wait, you probably have someone to do that for you. Well, could you send them my way this week, please? I'm DONE, and it's only Monday!!!!!


Sincerely,
me.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Hahahahaha! That sounds just like our house this morning, except that in our case it was me doing all of the whining. :D

Jen said...

Could ya really send this??? I hate daylight saving time.

Jess said...

Amen! I am 100% serious that I want to get a bill to have day-light savings ended. I hate it with every fiber of my being.