For my recipe blog go to:

Friday, June 19, 2009

"The Young Composer"

I decided with our crazy life right now I would start my son on piano lessons at home. I feel like I'm running him all over town as it is, I would like to not have another thing to take him to. So, I started him on piano lessons.

Come on, now.... even I know enough about the piano to teach him a few basics! I got a beginner book and he picked up on it so quickly! He loves to practice, too! Whenever I say, "Ok... time to do piano...." he says enthusiastically "OK!" and stops whatever he's doing to come! That's... like.... a miracle!

He also fancies himself a composer now. He dreamed up a song (kind of a cool one, actually), very simple- basically playing C's on the keyboard, but then he throws in a 4th before going back to C, and then at the very end he adds a leading tone which makes you kind of go "Oh!" and then it finishes back on C again.

I asked him the title, and he said "I think I'll call it 'The Young Composer' ".

I think that's a perfect title! I love my little guy!

3 comments:

Ryan and Shannan Hoffman said...

That is SO great! Seriously, I love it. I took 8 years of lessons and am so glad I did it. (I'm not very good now from lack of practice. Way to start him early!

Unknown said...

That is awesome!!! The best book mwthod I have found is Faber. It is awesome. It moves them through a lot faster than other methods. It also adds in areas where they have to create their own songs. It also teaches transposing really early and ear training. It is very easy for the teacher! I have had wonderful success with it!!! Go check it out!

Lauren said...

I can't wait to hear him play!