For my recipe blog go to:

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Help! I'm trapped in this dress and I can't get out!

I am such a dork!

I went dress shopping yesterday. I had in my mind the exact look I wanted, and I was determined to find it.

I found it. A cute little retro-styled black dress. But, I also found another dress I loved. I didn't want to love in... in fact, it scared me.

You see, it is was a wrap dress. I have NEVER been able to figure out wrap dresses. I have often fallen in love with a dress only to discover it was a wrap dress, and I would leave it longingly behind knowing I would end up trapped in it if I dared try it on. I could see the headlines "Woman trapped in dress... took 5 men to rescue her." Ya, me and wrap dresses.... not a good combination.

Yet, I found myself yesterday staring at that lovely moss green wrap dress with the pretty ruffle down the front. I should have just walked away, but it drew me closer. "Try me on.... try me on...." I already had the dress I came for, what was I thinking??? But, I found myself wandering into the dressing room saying "Yes, I have two items, please," taking my little number two, my two dresses, and venturing into the dressing room.

I put on the first dress- the one I came for originally. Cute. Love it. Just as I thought it would be. I'll get it. I took it off very slowly because I knew what was next. The wrap dress.

I took a deep breath and put my arms through the sleeves- all good, nothing wrong. Then...I held out the two waist straps in complete confusion- what to do with the super long straps??? I found a hole in the waist and figured a strap went through there, but which one, and how? I put the wrong one through. I found myself completely twisted up in the straps as I noticed the sign that said "dressing room are monitored". Great, some security guard is getting his laughs right now. I made a face at a screw hole in the wall... hey, you never know if that's actually a camera! (yes, I actually did this... like you don't???)

Anyway, I was so angered by the whole experience I bought the dang dress just to see if I could figure it out. I mean, heck... every other woman in the world can do this, why can't I??? (Ok, most women can make great buttermilk biscuits, too, but I make hockey pucks.)

In desperation, anger,and a bit of shame, I googled "how to tie a wrap dress" when I got home. This great web site walked me through the steps one by one and I saw immediately where I had gone wrong. I put on the dress and it worked! I had done it! AND, I love it!

So I now have two nice cold weather dresses to wear, and I can hold my head up proudly knowing I, too, know the secret to wearing a wrap dress. Thank you!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

I'm impressed. I still haven't graduated from the faux wrap myself. You will have to give me lessons.

Ryan and Shannan Hoffman said...

Oooh, where di you go? I need to get a couple of new dresses.