For my recipe blog go to:

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

I should have been born a hundred years ago, and to a wealthy aristorcratic family with lots of money and good fashion sense...



Long title... I know. But I've often felt I was born in the wrong era! Yes, I do love modern conveniences like flushing toilets, instant hot water, microwaves (although mine is in the upstairs kitchen and its such a pain to go up and down the stairs to use it I've resorted to warming things up the old fashioned way), television, and chocolate whenever I want it. (I'm pretty sure a hundred years ago chocolate wasn't as readily available. Women had to fit into those tiny corsettes anyway, so they probably didn't eat much chocolate, which is another good reason why I should have been born back then... but that's a whole other topic.) However, a hundred years ago there WERE flushing toilets... in rich homes. That, among other reasons, is why I've decided I should have been born back then.

Why am I thinking about this now? Well, as it happens, I am going to be taking an ocean voyage to far off lands in a few weeks. (see, I'm already speaking the lingo!) I shall be embarking on a large vessel with my husband and son where we will be enjoying a week of peaceful respite and enjoying the many offerings of other cultures. As I think about what this would have entailed a hundred years ago by way of preparations, I can't help but think about my wardrobe.

A woman of the "ton" would not simply throw her old things into her trunk and head off without a thought. No. She would make sure she had new things to adorn herself with so as not to offend the eyes of those she was fortunate to travel with. The latest styles would be carefully selected, fitted, and gently placed between paper to minimize creasing on the voyage. She would also bring along her ladies' maid to help her with dressing and doing her hair for all the gay parties she would attend.

Alas, I have not been able to find my ladies' maid anywhere! I will also not be buying new things. There will be no placing of paper between my cotton/poly blend Old Navy off-the-rack dresses, shorts, and t-shirts. I will be doing my own hair- forever more- and the word "ton" in this day and age is a weight measurement, not a class distinction, and I certainly hope there won't be any gay parties on the cruise ship. This is supposed to be a family friendly ship!

Still, I am freaking excited to go. (Ok, I never would have gotten away with saying "freaking" 100 years ago. Strike one.) I'm also excited to have a whole week to just relax, sun bathe, swim, read, do whatever. I'm really looking forward to just hanging out on the ship. (Although hanging out was probably NOT a good thing 100years ago. Strike two.) And, you can be sure I will not be wearing a corsette, so that's strike three. So much for belonging in the early 1900's.

*Still, I think I would have done well with a ladies maid.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

I will go along as your ladies maid! (as long as you don't make me do anything, and you pay for my ticket.) It is actually kind of funny that you posted the picture you did, because just yesterday I was reading about the Gilded Age, and I was studying this very same picture and admiring the fashions of the age. We must be sisters or something.

Nanna said...

Too late now, but I would have been happy to go along as your ladies maid. I would have even put the paper between your clothes and dressed you and done your hair and everything! HOw about next time?!