For my recipe blog go to:

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I'm in French Heaven- without the cigarettes and annoying french people, that is.

I did it! I was brave and tackled my first ever recipe from "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" by Julia Child! No, I am not going to start a blog about it and make something new every day- sheesh! Especially considering the meal last night took me over 3 hours to make! Ya...not gonna happen very often, that's for sure!

However, I surprised myself with my nervousness about the whole thing. I am not a nervous cook. I am actually quite brave in the kitchen, but for some reason, cooking something I had no idea how it was supposed to taste or look or smell...well, it kind of freaked me out!

I made Ratatouille and a delicious pork tenderloin in a garlic butter and vermouth sauce. (My son was home sick yesterday watching Ratatouille, so that gave me the idea.)

Holy million steps, Batman! Slice the eggplant, slice the zucchini, slice the green peppers, slice the onions, (yes, I said onions. I was brave there, too!), slice the tomatoes and skin them AND de-pulp them. Simmer for EVER- cook on the stove, then layer in a pan and cook again. Take out and baste in it's juices and cook again! Ok, I don't mean to turn you off to french cooking, but I wanted you to get the full idea of how involved this recipe was, and how daunting.

End result: Oh My Goodness!!!! I have never tasted anything so rich and flavorful and delicious as that Ratatouille! And it was healthy, too! The pork tenderloin was so tender and garlicky and delicious, too! (this one was not so healthy.) We were in French heaven last night! I will definitely cook that dish again and again!

Tonight I am going to attempt "Floating Island"- french onion soup with a large baked "crouton" smothered in melted and baked Gruyere cheese. Yummmmm.....

I love my new cook books!!!!

1 comments:

Jen said...

Looove French Onion Soup! A daring choice for one who doesn't like onions, though. You go!