For my recipe blog go to:

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

What's up with the Americans?

I love my country. I am sooo glad I was born here in the U.S. of A. Truly! I'm proud to be 'merican, and love red white and blue. I adore our forefathers who had the guts to stand up to the "English" and fight for our freedom. I love that I can vote, that I can go wherever I want and say anything I want because I am free.

That said, I don't always love "Americans". At least, sometimes I am a little embarrassed by some Americans. Especially during the olympics. Example:

While the Germans, or Austrians, or some other cute little country's athlete is getting ready to go down the ski hill, or the half-pipe, or what have you- what do you hear so loudly above anything else? "U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!" I mean, come on! Can't we let them have their moment on television doing what they've worked so hard for without having to hear "U-S-A!" chanted in their ears? I don't think it's good sportsmanship, personally.

What gets me the the most, though, is our athlete's complete lack of ability to sing the words to our National Anthem! Yes, I get that you are excited you won the gold and you're up there on that podium in a state of complete nirvana and shock, but when that flag goes up you need to remember you are representing something other than yourself. You are there for your country! Be proud of that fact and honor it by singing, or mouthing, the words to the national anthem! NONE of our athletes do this! EVER! If you don't know the words, you darn well better learn them before you go to the olympics!

Did you see the Canadian ice dancers last night? They were amazing, to say the least. Their performance was flawless and so graceful. I couldn't decide who I liked better- the Americans or the Canadians. However, a tear came to my eye as they stood there proudly- and through their complete and utter excitement of the moment- they sang proudly their national anthem- EVERY SINGLE WORD!!!!

A few weeks ago in church, we sang the national anthem as the opening hymn. Our choruster had the audacity to cut everyone off after the 1st verse- which NEVER happens- EVER! Luckily, our bishop insisted we sing the rest of the verses, and she begrudgingly led the rest of the song. I got choked up at the last verse. It is truly what I believe our forefathers fought for and believed in their hearts would set our country apart- in God is our trust.

Americans- please, learn the words to the National Anthem. They were inspired- I firmly believe this! And don't just learn the 1st verse- the one we always hear at football games and hockey games and everywhere else. Learn all the verses! (I've posted them below.) The last one is my favorite, and the feeling seems to be forgotten by many Americans today. I am going to make a point to learn all the verses myself. Don't be afraid to sing them out whenever you hear the national anthem! Come on, people! U-S-A!!!!!

The Star-Spangled Banner by Francis Scott Key 1814
Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner! Oh long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country should leave us no more!
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

What always kills me is when some famous pop star gets up to sing the anthem, and has no idea what the words are!

Andrea said...

Well said. I have noticed our athletes' lack of singing and have thought the same thing.